Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton marched in the latest anti-racism protest in London on Sunday, describing the experience as “really moving”.
The 35-year-old Hamilton, the only black driver in F1, joined the protests which have become common since the death of George Floyd in the United States last month.
“Went down to Hyde Park today for the peaceful protest and I was so proud to see in person so many people of all races and backgrounds supporting this movement,” Hamilton wrote on Instagram.
“I was proud to be out there acknowledging and supporting the Black Lives Matter movement, and my black heritage.
“I was also happy to see so many white supporters out there in the name of equality for all. It was really moving. I’m feeling extremely positive that change will come, but we cannot stop now. Keep pushing.”
Hamilton also posted a photograph of himself holding up a Black Lives Matter sign while his T-shirt slogan said: ‘Black is a vibe’.
Lewis Hamilton takes part in “really moving” anti-racism protest
The six-time world champion also wore a yellow scarf around his face.
Earlier, Hamilton had penned an article for Britain’s Sunday Times newspaper in which he said he was launching his own diversity body to attract more black youngsters into motor racing, insisting the “time for token gestures is over”.
Hamilton, a powerful and influential voice, said he was teaming up with Britain’s Royal Academy of Engineering to launch The Hamilton Commission.
“I’ve been fighting the stigma of racism throughout my racing career – from kids throwing things at me while karting, to being taunted by fans in black face at a 2007 Grand Prix, one of my first Formula One races,” wrote Hamilton.
“Despite my success in the sport, the institutional barriers that have kept F1 highly exclusive persist.
“It is not enough to point to me, or to a single new black hire, as a meaningful example of progress. Thousands of people are employed across this industry and that group needs to be more representative of society.”
The research partnership wants to encourage young black people to study science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Hamilton hopes that will then open up avenues to boost the number of minorities represented in Formula One.
“The time for platitudes and token gestures is over,” he insisted.
La Liga: Real Madrid 3-1 Eibar
Real Madrid have made a winning return to La Liga action as they beat Eibar 3-1 at the Alfredo Di Stefano Stadium, to narrow the gap on leaders Barcelona.
Real waste no time in pursuit of Barcelona as Toni Kroos found the net in the 4th minute with a sublime strike from inside the box.
Captain Sergio Ramos then tapped in a square ball from Eden Hazard, to double the lead at the half hour mark. And after a nice interplay between Hazard and Karim Benzema, a crisp strike from Marcelo made it 3-nil before the break.
Eibar put up a fight in the second half and pulled one back at the hour mark, when Pablo De Blasis’ shot hit Pedro Bigas and trickled past Courtois into the net. But that was it and Los Blancos kept Eibar at bay to bag the full points.
In another major fixture on Sunday night, Champions League hopefuls Real Sociedad failed to widen the gap with Getafe in the race for the top 4, as they slumped to a 1-all home draw against Osasuna.
The visitors went ahead with a first half penalty goal from Adrian Lopez, But Mikel Oyarzabal tied the match for Sociedad on the hour mark. The draw leaves Sociedad fourth on 47 points, one ahead of 5th-placed Getafe who limped to a 2-1 defeat at Granada on Friday.
La Liga: Real Madrid
‘I’m bored of the game … I’m over it’: Conor McGregor announces retirement
Conor McGregor has announced his retirement from UFC at the age of 31. The controversial Irishman, formerly featherweight and lightweight champion and one of the biggest names in the business, tweeted the news following the conclusion of the UFC 250 event.’My pay is not worth it’: Jon Jones gives up UFC title after row with Dana WhiteRead more
“Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting,” McGregor wrote. “Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been! Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my world title wins! Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you! Whatever you desire it’s yours.”
McGregor, who bows out with a 22-4 record, has made similar announcements in the past – previously ‘retiring’ in 2016 and 2019 before making his way back to the octagon.
He was just one bout into his latest comeback, having reversed his earlier decision to take on Donald Cerrone in a welterweight contest at UFC 246. McGregor won via TKO in just 40 seconds, his first success in over three years.
A fight against fellow UFC great Anderson Silva had been on the cards this year, with the latter publicly touting the bout over the weekend. Other potential opponents included long-time rival Khabib Nurmagomedov and Jorge Masvidal, with his second fight of 2020 initially planned for July.
“The game just does not excite me, and that’s that,” McGregor told ESPN on Sunday. “All this waiting around. There’s nothing happening. I’m going through opponent options, and there’s nothing really there at the minute. There’s nothing that’s exciting me … I don’t know if it’s no crowd. I don’t know what it is. There’s just no buzz for me.
“I had my goals, my plans, the season. I had everything laid out,” McGregor continued. “Obviously the world has gone bleeding bonkers at the minute. There’s f-all happening at the minute. They want to throw me up and down weights and offer me stupid fights. I don’t really give a fuck. I’m over it.”
UFC president Dana White, who has received criticism from McGregor in the past and who has recently clashed with Jon Jones over a pay issue, said he is happy to let the Irishman retire.
“Nobody is pressuring anybody to fight,” White said. “And if Conor McGregor feels he wants to retire, you know my feelings about retirement: you should absolutely do it. And I love Conor … There’s a handful of people that have made this really fun for me. And he’s one of them.”
In 2017 McGregor took a high-profile detour into the world of professional boxing, going down in 10 rounds to Floyd Mayweather in a showpiece event in Las Vegas.
Mike Tyson says deal will be done WITHIN DAYS for comeback fight: ‘We got so many guys that want to do this’
Former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has said fans could find out within days who he will face in his much-hyped ring comeback at the age of 53.
Preparations continue for Tyson to make his ring return after 15 years away, with erstwhile rival Evander Holyfield tipped as a possible opponent – but ‘Iron’ Mike says there are numerous big names in the mix.
The former ‘Baddest Man on the Planet’ has revealed a deal is close to being signed with another boxer to seal the event.
“I’m feeling better than I’ve ever felt in my life. God has been merciful to me man,” he told Lil Wayne’s Young Money Radio show.
“Yo Wayne, I’m 230 [pounds] right now! Man I’m just getting ready you know, I’m just getting ready to help some people out who are less fortunate than me. I’m gonna do this charity event.”
Mike Tyson comeback fight
Tyson has been posting training videos to social media in the past few weeks that show he has lost little of the fearsome punching power that made him one of the most legendary figures in boxing history.
And despite his advancing years, ‘Iron Mike’ says he’s more than ready to take on anyone, no matter how big the name.
He revealed that negotiations have been taking place with representatives of several big-name fighters, but he wouldn’t confirm that one of those is fellow-veteran and former undisputed heavyweight champion Holyfield, 57, who has been releasing his own training videos this week.
“Nah, nah, we got many guys,” Tyson said. “Listen we’ve got so many guys that want to do this man. We’re in calls, we’re doing business with guys right now.
“You’re not going to believe the names when the names come out. Some time this week we’ll have the contract done,” he added.
Tyson promises he won’t be benefiting financially from his comeback however, despite having to make previous returns to the ring due to cash problems.
“I’m going to take this money and help these homeless and we’re going to help these addicted brothers,” he said.
“Because I’ve been homeless and I’ve been addicted so I know the struggle. Not many people have survived like I did.”
Mike Tyson comeback fight